NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Anne Hathaway is finally cutting through the noise surrounding the internet’s latest plastic surgery obsession.
After weeks of speculation that she secretly went under the knife, the Oscar winner admitted her dramatically lifted red carpet look came from a surprisingly simple beauty hack — not a facelift.
Hathaway previously shared an Instagram video revealing a hairstyling trick used to subtly lift her face for red carpet appearances. The technique involves "two small braids near each temple that are pulled back and pinned," creating a naturally tightened look.
ANNE HATHAWAY CELEBRATES FIVE YEARS OF SOBRIETY: ‘FEELS LIKE A MILESTONE’

Anne Hathaway attends the European premiere of "The Devil Wears Prada 2" at Cineworld Leicester Square and Vue West End in London on April 22, 2026. (Wiktor Szymanowicz/Future Publishing)
In a new interview with Elle, she was asked if the video was a "pointed" response to the plastic surgery rumors.
"I wouldn’t say pointed. But we’re at a time when people feel very confident in assuming what they think is fact, and sometimes what they think is accurate and sometimes it’s not," Hathaway said.
The "Devil Wears Prada" star admitted she usually prefers to stay silent when it comes to public speculation surrounding her appearance.
"My preference would be to never comment on anything and to just live in the mystery and not draw attention to myself, but the speculation has gotten so loud that you do feel the need to just get your truth out there," she explained.
ASHTON KUTCHER PUSHES BACK ON CLAIMS HOLLYWOOD FORCES UNREALISTIC BEAUTY STANDARDS

Anne Hathaway is seen at the "Mother Mary" screening in NYC on April 13., 2026. (John Nacion/Variety via Getty Images)
"And I’ll probably always wonder, ‘Should I have posted that or not? Should I have just kept going and done the thing that makes me happy and makes me feel more confident on the red carpet?’ But I felt like the conversation was becoming distracting."
Hathaway also pushed back on how casually people speculate about cosmetic procedures online.
"Also, by the way, these are huge medical decisions that people are presuming," she said. "I wanted to show that, like, no, I didn’t make a huge medical decision. It’s just two braids."
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR THE ENTERTAINMENT NEWSLETTER

Anne Hathaway addresses facelift rumors in an Elle interview, saying her dramatically lifted red carpet appearance is just a two-braid beauty hack. (Lucas Possiede/WWD via Getty Images)
"The Princess Diaries" star added that she isn’t ruling out any cosmetic procedures in the future.
"And by the way, the other thing about all this is, I might still get a facelift someday," she noted.
LIKE WHAT YOU’RE READING? CLICK HERE FOR MORE ENTERTAINMENT NEWS
The actress’ candid comments come years after she survived the brutal "Hathahate" era, when she became one of Hollywood’s favorite internet punching bags despite her success.

Anne Hathaway says her lifted red carpet look comes from two small braids, not a facelift. (James Devaney/GC Images)
Hathaway said that experience forced her to confront deep insecurities and learn how to stop spiraling under public scrutiny.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
While reflecting on her rise to fame, Hathaway admitted fear once consumed much of her younger self.
"One of the things about younger me is she was really scared, and I think that fear made me harsh with myself," Hathaway told Elle. "I shudder at the thought that I might have inadvertently been harsh with other people while I was being harsh with myself. I actually get nauseous thinking about it."
Stephanie Giang-Paunon is an entertainment writer for Fox News Digital. Story tips can be sent to [email protected] and on Twitter: @SGiangPaunon.


















































