Meghan Markle’s acting return could spark fresh problems with Prince William, Kate Middleton: expert

1 hour ago 2

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Meghan Markle is eyeing a return to acting.

Royal correspondent Bronte Coy told BBC Radio Four’s "Today" Friday that the acting opportunity was "significant" and that Markle was "very excited about it."

Markle is in talks to join Guy Ritchie's "The Gentlemen," according to The Hollywood Reporter. The part would be for the yet-to-be-announced third season of the British action-comedy series.

Fox News Digital reached out to Archewell for comment.

MEGHAN MARKLE'S FAILED MARTHA STEWART DREAMS MOCKED BY COMEDIAN: 'SHE WAS SLINGING JAM'

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex attends the Children's Hospital Los Angeles gala at L.A. Live.

Meghan Markle is reportedly eyeing a return to acting after years spent building a new identity outside the royal family. (Tommaso Boddi/Getty Images)

After years spent building a new identity outside the royal family, experts argued a return to acting could give the Duchess of Sussex something her post-royal ventures have struggled to deliver: a chance to redefine herself.

"[Markle] needs to find an extraordinary script the way Demi Moore did with ‘Substance’ and do something that shocks people and gets away from the princess arc," Dan Wakeford, founder of Celebrity Intelligence, previously told Fox News Digital. "She needs to go back to what she loves and what made her famous in the first place."

The potential return to acting follows a string of post-royal ventures for Markle, but not all have delivered the momentum she may have hoped to build. After stepping back from royal duties in 2020, the duchess pursued a range of projects spanning streaming, podcasting, lifestyle ventures and philanthropy.

"‘With Love, Meghan’ became a punchline when it really needed to be a launch pad," Wakeford noted. "And when the show was mocked, it poisoned As Ever because the credibility was gone."

Meghan Markle gardening barefoot.

Markle and Prince Harry’s multimillion-dollar Netflix and Spotify deals were meant to establish their independence and influence, but one expert argued the deals themselves held the leverage — not the Sussexes. (Jake Rosenberg/Netflix © 2025)

GET ENTERTAINMENT SCOOP DELIVERED RIGHT TO YOUR EMAIL BY CLICKING HERE

Meghan Markle cooking in a Montecito kitchen.

Dan Wakeford said Markle’s Netflix lifestyle series, "With Love, Meghan," became a "punchline" instead of the launch pad it needed to be, damaging the credibility of her As Ever brand. (Netflix)

"The problem is that Meghan and Harry believed the big Netflix deal and Spotify check meant they had leverage when, in actuality, the deal and the check were the leverage."

A return to acting could mark a back-to-basics approach for Meghan after years of experimenting with different ventures in and outside Hollywood.

"Acting is her thing, what she knows best and enjoys," Helena Chard, British broadcaster and photographer, told Fox News Digital. "Let’s hope it is a good production."

LIKE WHAT YOU'RE READING? CLICK HERE FOR MORE ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle standing close to each other in an audience applauding and looking serious.

Experts told Fox News Digital that a standout role could help the Duchess of Sussex move beyond the "princess arc" and reconnect with the career that first made her famous. (Joshua Sammer/Getty Images)

"Meghan, ever resourceful, has found a way back both to acting, which she loves, and a lifestyle which complements Harry and the children," royal broadcaster Ian Pelham Turner told Fox News Digital. "I personally feel they will create a new life for themselves and try to heal the wounds over the next two to three years and become an asset rather than a drama for the royal family."

However, the career move that could help Markle move beyond the royal narrative might simultaneously create another one.

Turner warned that renewed attention around Meghan’s acting career and the couple’s charitable efforts could "put William and Kate into a media shade which will not go down well with them and, in reality, increase the difficulties with the warring brothers." 

Prince Harry Meghan Markle Prince William Kate Middleton

The potential acting comeback comes as the couple prepares to move back to the U.K., where their children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, are expected to begin school in September. Meanwhile, one expert warned that renewed attention on Meghan’s acting career could put Prince William and Kate Middleton "into a media shade" and further strain Harry’s relationship with his brother. (Chris Jackson)

Royal experts have told Fox News Digital that William and Harry have remained estranged since the Duke and Duchess of Sussex stepped back as senior working royals in 2020 and relocated to California. Harry and Meghan have maintained that relentless tabloid scrutiny and what they describe as a lack of support from the palace drove their decision to leave royal life.

Since stepping away from royal life, Harry and Meghan have publicly aired their grievances in high-profile interviews and documentaries. Harry's 2023 memoir, "Spare," further deepened the fallout within the royal family.

PUT YOUR ENTERTAINMENT KNOWLEDGE TO THE TEST AND SEE HOW YOU SCORE

Prince William, Duchess of Cambridge Catherine, and Prince Harry standing together outdoors.

Prince William, Kate Middleton and Prince Harry during happier times in 2016. Royal experts told Fox News Digital that William and Harry have remained estranged since the Duke and Duchess of Sussex stepped back as senior working royals in 2020. (Jeff Spicer/Getty Images)

Chard told Fox News Digital, "It has been toe-curling watching Meghan put herself on a pedestal on occasion when she lacks the skills or merit. It’s time for Meghan, along with Harry, to put a line in the sand. Keep busy, work hard, earn money and stop undermining the monarchy."

The acting opportunity comes as the Sussexes prepare for a major shift in their family life.

Prince Harry and Markle are preparing to move back to the U.K., with their children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, expected to start school in Britain in September.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Read Entire Article
Sekitar Pulau| | | |